Saturday, January 29, 2005

What Is World News Trust?

World News Trust is the working name of a two-year-old grassroots effort by hundreds of people from all walks of life to establish a non-partisan 24/7 independent news service with text, radio and TV distribution. I am the project manager.

We have received enthusiastic support and advice for the project from many media experts, including Noam Chomsky of MIT and Mark Crispin Miller of NYU.

The project had tremendous momentum until the second US invasion of Iraq in the spring of 2003, when we began to encounter an array of problems that caused me to step back and take some time to consider various aspects of the project.

The November elections prompted me to get the project rolling again.

I decided to start from scratch -- from the beginning -- and to take the project through the various phases of a startup venture: feasibility, design, prototype, startup and operations.

Various participants have done a lot of work on the project already. In the run-up to the war we had begun distributing excellent original news stories on-line and to top wire services and newspapers. We had a prototype web radio station streaming progressive news programming, and we were in the process of producing original news content.

We had filled out paperwork with a well-known progressive attorney to set up a 501(3)c non-profit corporation. (The attorney mysteriously disappeared with a $2,000 retainer for the incorporation and other services. I hope he's OK.)

We have a good business model and a business plan that has attracted the strong interest of many potential sources of funding.

I am in the process of contacting participants to discuss the project. If you've been involved in the past, you'll be hearing from me soon.

If you are new to the project, Welcome! We are seeking volunteers in all areas. Even a suggestion or comment on this site will be useful. If you can help out, please leave your comment on this board, or contact me at worldnewstrust@yahoo.com.

I'll be posting to this blog regularly. You can receive RSS feeds of the posts if you would like.

Cheers

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful project. I'll do all I can to help. Fred

January 29, 2005 at 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you taking contributions? I don't have much, but I'd be happy to send something along. MaryBlue

January 29, 2005 at 7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be willing to help with whatever I could. Some money (a little) too. I'll be checking back here. This is what we need.
Kath

January 30, 2005 at 12:26 AM  
Blogger Tad Goodwin said...

Thanks for posting folks. And thanks for your words of encouragement. Cheers, Tad

January 30, 2005 at 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home